Book Video Consultation

Stay Home

No Waiting in lines

Audio/Video Call

PMC Verified Doctors

Talk to General Practitioner on Herpes Simplex 1

person-avatar

Asking for Self, Male, 40 years old, lahore

I was diagnosed with herpes simplex 1 . The sores appeared on my upper lip. since my first and only outbreak in march 2019 i am afraid to have any oral contact with my partner.

i am really scared of asymptomatic viral shedding and i dont want my partner to be affected. I read on internet that regular dose of one tab of valacyclovir 500 mg had significant results in reducing the chances of transferring the disease. so i have started taking 1 tablet daily since last 10 days. i am also taking zinc picolinate 50 mg on daily basis plus immunity booster multivitamin on daily basis.

I request you to please answer my these questions.

1) what is the probability of infecting someone in absence of active lesions and sores.

2) are there any signs of viral shedding.

3) is there any test that can be conducted to know whether the infection is active or not so that i can have oral sex with my partner

4) some dermatologists say that if there are no lesions the virus cannot be transf

General Practitioner in Karachi - Dr. Marium Arif

The herpes virus can be shed in absence of active lesions. Signs may be itching burning sensation or tingling on lips without lesions. U can take prophylactic antiviral to cut down shedding as u r taking but it can be transferred. See dermatologist for further evaluation

Sir Thanks a lot for the reply. if you can please answer my this query.

the above symptoms of viral shedding without lesions mentioned by you i.e burning and tingling etc, will these symptoms be always present in viral shedding or viral shedding can be without any symptoms too i.e burning or itching or tingling etc. how long can viral shedding last

and a final question. is there any way that i can have normal sex life with my partner without fear of transmitting it, like even once a month or any time .is there any way.

kindly please do reply

4 years ago

Sir can you kindly reply..thanks

4 years ago

General Practitioner in Karachi - Dr. Marium Arif

U need to see dermatologist. And viral shedding can be without symptoms.

4 years ago

Attach Photo here:

Consult with Doctor Online

One-to-One Chat with Doctor

Don't like going to a Hospital?

Consult Online

Book Appointment

View All Categories (A-Z)

Get Appointment with General Practitioner

Find the Questions asked in Other Categories